When you are considering employing a search engine optimization (SEO) strategy, picking the right individual to optimize your website is crucial.
Mistakes in prioritization could be pricey. Focusing on the wrong tasks can take tremendous effort that–ultimately –yields sub-par yields. And inefficient, expensive results aren’t even the worst potential.
Finding the right SEO supplier takes time, study, and effort. But when the decision could lead to either increased traffic or an entire loss, it’s well worth the upfront investment.
Why you should hire an SEO agency
When contemplating adopting a Search Engine Optimization strategy, you have three primary choices. It is possible to attempt to do the work yourself, employ a full-time SEO specialist, or work with an SEO firm or agency such as SEO Dallas.
Hiring the right SEO Company is a lot like hiring the proper automobile mechanic. It can be confusing, but understanding a couple of important points of information can help. –Josh Steimle, CEO at MWI
Here are the pros and cons of each.
Optimize your site
Doing SEO yourself might work. Especially if you’re only getting started online or if you manage a small website. It’s certainly likely to learn the basics of SEO and use what you learn to optimize your articles for keywords or build backlinks. It is also the most affordable option.
Employ a fulltime SEO specialist
Another option is to hire a fulltime, in-house SEO specialist. The advantage of this option is–if you have hired the right person–your professional will have the experience needed to identify and prioritize jobs appropriately. They’ll also have the ability to dedicate 40 hours every week to optimize your site.
Hire an SEO company or agency
Like in-house experts, SEO firms and agencies bring the benefit of expertise. SEO agencies likely bring more expertise than specialists.
Agencies that neglect new optimization tactics and trends rarely stay in business for long. SEO agencies operate on successes and referrals so that they have a vested interest in understanding their trade indoors and outside.
What SEO providers do agencies provide?
The services SEO agency supplies depend mostly on the type of agency you choose.
Some SEO companies are full-service digital marketing services that offer SEO as an option. Others are boutique or niche agencies that specialize in a specific aspect of SEO. They might be experts in link-building or local SEO, for example.
Types of SEO services you might need
Before you begin the process of searching for an SEO agency, you should understand the various sorts of SEO services available so you can find a sense of the services your company needs:
- On-page SEO. On-page providers focus on optimizing your website, its pages, and it’s content for research. It features technical SEO tasks like enhancing load speeds, metadata optimization, and mobile usability. Additionally, it encompasses content, media, and internal navigation optimization.
- Off-page SEO. Off-page SEO describes the optimization of external signals that affect search rankings. Generally, off-page SEO services focus on link-building. But social media marketing is also a part of an agency’s off-page offerings.
- Keyword research. Keyword research is the procedure for collecting a list of keywords, determining relevancy, user intent, and competition, and using that information to make a list of keywords that a site ought to be optimized for.
- Analytics services may include installing tracking applications or software, setting up custom reports, teaching company leaders how to examine and interpret metrics, and/or mining analytics for optimization tips.
- Pay-per-click (PPC).Some agencies provide services that are focused on driving both organic and paid traffic. These agencies can offer optimization services for advertisements hosted through AdWords or another PPC advertising platform.
- Local SEO. Local SEO is a specialized service that caters to businesses with clients located in a certain and restricted geographic area. This type of SEO requires another strategy and typically includes optimization of Google Maps and other directory listings.
Along with those SEO-specific services, many SEO Companies–especially big agencies like ioVistaInc–provide related services such as content promotion, social media marketing, email marketing, advantage and advertising design, site design, and website development.
How much does SEO cost?
The expenses of SEO services will be contingent on many factors. Matters like the kinds of services that you need and how big the organization that you choose will help determine the cost. So will the quantity of work that has to be completed. As will the reputation and location of the agency.
Asking what SEO prices is somewhat like going to a car dealership and asking the dealer ‘So, how much for a new car?’ The natural answer is ‘It depends. What are you looking for?’ –Josh Steimle, CEO in MWI
Well-known agencies working out of Silicon Valley will necessarily be more expensive than smaller regional stores with fewer clients.
Many SEO suppliers will charge an upfront fee to run a site audit. From there, several pricing models could be available.
- For an upfront site audit, you can expect to pay between $600 and $2,000 for a basic audit, or between $3,000 and $20,000 for a detailed audit (source: Forbes).
- If you’re paying by the hour, then expect a reputable search engine optimization company to charge a mean between $75 and $150 per hour (origin: RankPay).
- Monthly retainers, on average, operate between $750 and $5,000 per month, depending on how big your digital property, the amount of work being completed, and the complexity of the job (origin: Search Engine Watch).
- Per-project rates will be the most variable since they’re entirely determined by the particulars of the undertaking. Prices vary from less than $100 to more than $250,000, although the vast majority fall between $2,500 and $5,000 (source: Moz).
Hiring an SEO consultant vs. a company
One final consideration is hiring an SEO consultant. This is a compromise between hiring in-house and going through an agency.
Consultants are independent SEO experts who offer individualized attention like an in house SEO. But they’re paid as contractors instead of full-time or salaried employees.
Pricing for consultants will likely be similar to that of agencies, but a consultant might be in a position to offer more detailed attention and supply more personalized recommendations.
One situation where a consultant could be a preferred choice is in case you have the resources on staff to execute the work, but you do not have the SEO expertise to understand what work to perform. You could bring in a consultant on contract to conduct an audit, assist you to prioritize tasks, and teach your team how to optimize search on an ongoing basis.
Remember, though, this SEO generally happens at least four months before you start to see effects. In some cases, it could be around a year.
Getting started with SEO
Launching an SEO campaign is no little initiative. DIY SEO is rarely successful, and making a bad decision when selecting an expert can be both costly and detrimental.
Unless you’ve got the funds and the energy to commit yourself to SEO, it may be a channel you consider later down the road. -Rand Fishkin, Wizard of Moz
Google takes harsh action against companies that engage in black-hat SEO tactics. They’ll apply manual penalties, which will plummet your positions and possibly remove your site from search entirely.
Finding the Ideal SEO provider takes some time and effort, however, due diligence upfront pays off in the end with increased rankings and earnings.
Have you ever paid for SEO services previously? What information and advice do you have for people looking for an SEO contractor? Share your experiences and ideas in the comments below!
Mike Patel is a digital marketing enthusiast, innovator and President of a leading Digital and E-commerce Development Agency in Dallas, Texas. Mike holds a BS, Computer Science degree from Wayne State University and is a key player in the E-commerce development and digital marketing industry since 2004. The scope of technology in his extensive experience of more than 15 years ranges from Magento, Shopify, BigCommerce SEO (Search Engine Optimization), PPC (Pay Per Click) management, E-commerce SEO, Google Shopping Ads and more.